Welcome, Charlotte & Triad! There's more to come, stay tuned...

Do I have legal recourse here?

Home Forums Member Forum Do I have legal recourse here?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andrea 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’m looking for some advice on how to deal with a boss who has shared confidential information I shared with her as a matter that could have some impact on my job. I’d never have told her this information “as a friend,” because we are not friends. It was shared by her with at least two friends as a matter of gossip as this woman absolutely LOVES it when she knows something that others do not. When I first became aware of this breach of confidentiality, I decided to wait until I’d calmed down before confronting her, but ultimately decided it would do nothing but make our already negative relationship worse. I was going to be mad either way, and if I told her I knew what she’d done it would add more awkwardness to our working relationship, and maybe even retribution on her part.

But in an unexpected, spur-of-the-moment check-in sort of conference called by my boss’ bosses, they asked me the right question on the right day and I spilled everything. They were appropriately upset and frustrated with the situation and spoke to her about it.

Now what I’d tried to avoid has happened. My boss is clearly upset with me, being short, and has actually been speaking negatively with others in my community about how I do my job.

She has never apologized for the initial breach of trust and confidentiality or acknowledged that she knows that I know about it.

Besides the obvious “get another job, pronto” advice, do I have any legal recourse here? She seems to be actively poisoning my prospects of finding another job in my area.

The confidential matter she shared was a major family issue we are having that I really did not want in the public conversation.

I don’t know what to do. If anything.

#33518 Reply

Andrea

Do you have an HR Dept? This sounds like a negative work environment and I suspect that you would have a case if you were to see a lawyer. Document everything.

However, I’ve never been through this and I’m not a lawyer so I don’t know how it works. It sounds like an awful situation. I’d lean towards not ignoring it. Bullies shouldn’t be allowed to continue.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Do I have legal recourse here?
Your information: