Parental Rights Revocation

Home Forums Member Forum Parental Rights Revocation

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by FrustratedMom.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FrustratedMom

My daughter’s father has not seen her or made any attempts to see her in nearly a year and a half. That was his choice. He is on court ordered child support but does not pay. His step mother told me that people are talking to him trying to convince him to be in my daughter’s life. I think that is absurd that he has to be convinced. He has had multiple DWI’s as recently as this year. He called out of the blue wanted to come “get her” for an hour or two. I said “no” but that he could come over and visit. He got mad and said he was going to take me to court. His step mother offered up their house as a meeting spot but he refused that as well. My questions are: Can I seek to get his parental rights revoked? If something happens to me he is not capable of taking care of my child (he testified during child support hearing that he has sever mental health issues and thoughts of suicide). If so, how do I do that? If he did not sign the birth certificate does he even have any legal rights? If parental rights are revoked does he relieve him of child support (least of my concern since he doesn’t pay and it is very minimal amount)?

#33354 Reply
    FrustratedMom

OH and I can’t really afford a lawyer.

#33363 Reply
    Anon Reply

Family court tries as hard as possible to ensure that a child has both their parents in their life. That can look like supervised visits, pysch eval and mandated psychotherapy if a parent is mentally ill, etc.

Since he’s not on the birth certificate, technically he has no legal rights. However, he can petition the court for a DNA test to establish paternity/rights. I think this all depends on whether you think he will actually fight this in court.

Personally, I would consult a lawyer. There are low-cost consultation options, as well as legal clinics that are available through agencies like Interact and Compass Center.

https://www.lawhelpnc.org/resource/termination-of-parental-rights

#33364 Reply
    Elysia

Hello,
    I would be happy to give you some brief advice. You can arrange a time to talk to me 919-285-1712. (I am a licensed attorney, I am not soliciting for you to come as a client, and I am offering a brief free consultation via phone and can point you in the direction of services if needed).
    Warm regards
    Elysia

#33365 Reply
    FrustratedMom

Thank you Elysia. I will give you a call this week.

#33366 Reply
    FrustratedMom

Paternity has been established through child support.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Parental Rights Revocation
Your information: