Quandry about job

Home Forums Member Forum Quandry about job

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I currently commute an hour to work. The drive is really getting to me and affecting my quality of life. I received a job offer that would enable me to work from home. The hiring manager offered it to me on a particularly bad day and I accepted it when I should’ve taken time to think about it. I turned in my resignation last week. Now, for various reasons, I’m having second thoughts about the new job. It would be better for me career wise to keep my current job until at least June. I still want to find something closer, though. Is it tacky to withdraw my resignation knowing that I do intend to leave at some point? Should I be upfront with my boss about it? Is there a way out of this mess I’m missing? I love my current job (mostly), but I can’t do this commute long-term.

#33585 Reply
    Susan Hart

That is a rough spot to be in. I am not sure how you could decline the new job at this point. I wish you the best.

#33586 Reply
    superwoman_703

I think it would really be helpful to know the reasons why you’re second guessing the new job.

#33589 Reply
    Nora

NC is an at-will state. You can do whatever you want, it’s your right. Further, it’s your life and you SHOULD do A) what makes the most sense for you, and B) what isn’t going to burn bridges down so badly that you’ll never be able to cross them again. If your old employer will take you back and you don’t forsee any retribution or chance they’ll change their mind once you’ve gone back, do it. Don’t tell them you’re planning to leave in the summer. You never know what will happen. They could offer you a promotion and you decide to stay. My real concern would be how you handle it with the new company. It’ll be hard to back out and save face. You just have to decide if it’s a bridge worth burning, or if there’s too much opportunity there. Even if they tell you “oh no problem, things happen, we’ll overlook it and hire you when you’re ready”, you will never be able to go to work for them without being “the gal who reneged on her offer”…

#33590 Reply
    Original poster

My field requires me to be licensed. I will be fully licensed and able to practice independently in June, if all goes according to plan. My current job allows for my direct supervisor to supervise me, she is fully licensed in our field. The new company doesn’t have licensed practitioners in my field at all. That means I have to seek supervision outside the agency. This will cost me ~$60 an hour. I will need about an hour of supervision per week. I’m having trouble finding outside supervision. I’m concerned my board won’t consider the new job adequate to meet licensing requirements, although I did some research before interviewing for the position. I also need emergency back up supervision, which is proving challenging as well. I am unable to work from home. My job is comparable to a nurse, teacher, dentist or hygienist in that way. You must practice in an office, because that’s where services are rendered. Not sure why I’m being secretive about it. I’m a therapist/mental health counselor. Hope this additional info helps.

#33638 Reply
    Nora

I’m a social worker too, so I get it. I’m also a Senior Professional in Human Resources and worked in HR for 15 years before switching to social work. Send me an email if you’d like to talk further. noraspencer.msw@gmail.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Quandry about job
Your information: